Monthly Archives: May 2016

Tips to get family visa in UK

If you are applying for them

You’ll need to check if they need a visitor visa on GOV.UK if you don’t already know – it depends on their nationality. Citizens of some countries don’t need a visa to visit the UK at all.

You’ll have to apply online.

There’s an option to “apply for someone else” on the online form. Make sure you put the visitor’s information in where it asks for the applicant’s details.

After you fill in the form, the visitor will need to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre. Check where their nearest visa application centre is before you apply, because it might be in a different country.

The online system will tell you where to send the form once it’s filled in (you have to print it).

The online form asks you some questions to get to the visa you need. Fill out the form using the following prompts.

Documents you’ll need to include

You’ll need to include documents that support your application when you send it off. The online form will give you guidance on what to include, but here are some things to keep in mind.

Prove there’s enough money for the trip

You’ll have to provide evidence to show that the visitor’s trip can be afforded, whether it’s being paid for by them or by you.

If the visitor is paying for themselves, they’ll have to include documents proving that they can afford it, eg bank statements or payslips.

If you’re paying for their visit (eg for their flights and accommodation), you’ll need to prove that you can afford the visitor’s trip as well as your own costs – eg your rent, mortgage and general expenses.


  • an estimate of how much the trip will cost – this needs to be as accurate as possible
  • proof of your income and where you work, eg payslips or an employment contract
  • proof that you have enough money to pay for the visitor’s stay, eg recent bank statements
  • proof that you’re in the UK legally, eg a copy of your passport or visa


Prove you have a genuine relationship

If the person visiting you is a friend, boyfriend or girlfriend, it’s a good idea to include a letter with your application explaining that you’re in a genuine relationship.

You should explain some details of your relationship, like:

  • how and where you met
  • how often you communicate with each other
  • how you communicate (eg phone calls or emails)

What are you doing when the application is delayed in England

You can find out why your immigration application is delayed by contacting the Home Office, or your local MP. You might want to make sure your passport will be returned in time for a holiday, or simply be worried about how long the decision is taking.

You can do this yourself rather than paying an expensive lawyer or immigration expert to do it for you.

Your immigration status

Your immigration status will stay the same while you wait for your new visa if:

  • you made the application before your most recent visa ended
  • you made the application during the 28-day ‘grace’ period after it expired

Your rights – for example, the ability to work, access education and receive benefits – will stay the same while you wait for a new visa.

Contact the Home Office

You can phone the UK Visas and Immigration contact centre (part of the Home Office) to find out how long your visa will take:

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre
Telephone: 0300 123 2241
Textphone: 0800 389 8289
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.45pm. Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
Calls cost 12p per minute from a landline, 3 to 45p from a mobile

The service can be busy, so you may be waiting for some time.

You’ll be asked for a Home Office reference number (sometimes called a ‘case ID’). This number will start with the first letter of your last name, and be followed by 7 numbers. You’ll have received this number when you first applied.

Before you can get any information about your application, you’ll be asked questions to confirm your identity.

Contact your MP

If you’re not happy with the Home Office’s response, it’s a good idea to contact your local MP. Your MP can find out more about the delay and in some cases can help speed up the visa application.

Prepare as much information as possible – it’ll help your MP track down your application. For example, you might need:

  • important dates – like the date you submitted your application
  • any reference numbers you’ve received in letters or over the phone

How to get visa in UK

unduhan-21If you’re already in the UK, your spouse (husband, wife or civil partner) or fiancé will need a visa to join you to live for over 6 months.

A family member who joins you in the UK based on your right to stay in the UK is called a ‘dependant’, and you are known as the ‘sponsor’.

They’ll need to make an application from outside the UK.

If your spouse or partner wants to visit the UK for less than 6 months, you need to apply for a visit visa instead.

You can fill in the application form for your family member – you must do this online using the links above.

The online application system doesn’t list the visas by name – you’ll have to answer some questions to find the visa you need. There’s an option to “apply for someone else” on the online form.

As part of the application process, they must have their biometrics taken (fingerprints and photograph). Check where their nearest visa application centre is before you apply, because it might be in a different country.

You need to be earning a certain amount, or have enough savings, in order to bring your spouse or partner to the UK to live. This is called ‘meeting the financial requirement’.

You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.

If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you’re applying for.