Easy and simple tips to get visa in canada

images-20Unless you were born in Canada, have a Canadian parent, or are married to a Canadian, you will need to do some research to allow you to immigrate to Canada and ultimately work in Canada. This section is aimed at helping you understand all the crucial information you should know to plan your immigration to Canada. For general information on how to get a visa to visit Canada, see the Canada International website.

Disclaimer: The Moving2Canada Team are not registered immigration professionals. We always recommend verifying information provided with an immigration expert. Immigration rules are constantly evolving and we do our best to keep your informed. See Immigration Advice for a list of recommended experts.

Free immigration assessment tool — Come to Canada wizard
If you want to come but you’re not sure how you can get a visa for Canada, follow this simple questionnaire to help identify your options:
Immigration to Canada – Come to Canada Questionaire

Don’t forget to download the Moving2Canada Getting Started Success Program today. Our team of experts created this free comprehensive guide to help make your move a success.

If you intend to work in Canada, you will need to gain a work permit to do so. There are several categories of immigrants, which correspond to the economic and social aims of the various immigration programs. Below are the most popular methods of gaining a work permit to work in Canada.

Work permit via IEC working holiday visa
Many countries allow people to obtain working holiday visas for Canada for up to two years if they come through the International Experience Canada (IEC) process. This can make immigration to Canada straightforward, at least on a temporary basis, to those who are young and keen to work in Canada. Arriving on a working holiday visa is recommended, where possible, as it allows you the chance to come to Canada, find suitable employment and from there assess your options to stay in Canada. Consult the Working Holiday Visa in Canada section for more information. We have also prepared a IEC visa FAQ section to help you.

Work permit via Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA, formerly LMO)
An LMIA can be obtained from outside Canada if a Canadian employer can demonstrate that employing you will benefit the labour market. Immigration to Canada is becoming easier as Canada seeks to attract more foreign workers to support its strong economic growth. LMIA is a process that was designed to allow Canadian employers fill positions in their companies with foreign workers if they are unable to find a Canadian to do the job. This work permit generally needs to be renewed annually but is sometimes available up to two years. It allows you to work in Canada for a specified employer.

Apply for residency via Family Class
Immigration to Canada is possible through a family relationship. If you are a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency, you can sponsor your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative to become a permanent resident under the Family Class.

Express Entry

From January 1st 2015 onwards, all economic class residency programs will be processed under a new selection system called Express Entry. This will affect the following residency programs: Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

Apply for residency via Canada Experience Class (CEC)
For those of you who have done your time in Canada and have, or will have, twelve months of professional experience or study in your field, the Canadian Experience Class is probably the best route towards residency. You apply directly and not through your employer.

Apply for residency via Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows one of Canada’s provinces or territories to nominate you to settle and work in Canada. This process is conducted through your employer and specific to each province.

Apply for residency via Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) — Professionals

Skilled workers are those who are selected as permanent residents based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. Federal skilled worker applications are assessed for eligibility according to a points-based system.

Apply for residency via Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) — Tradespeople
Tradespeople can apply as permanent residents based on their trade, work experience and either a job offer or trade certification in Canada. Federal skilled trades applications are assessed for eligibility according to a pass / fail system.

What are you doing then if your child live in UK illegally

unduhan-22If your child is living in the UK illegally, you should apply for them to live in the country legally before they’re 18. It’s a good idea because:

  • the application process will be easier if they’re under 18
  • they can continue with their education (they can’t study beyond 18 if they’re here illegally)
  • British citizens can work and receive benefits once they’re 18
  • British citizens can’t be deported

Once your child has a legal immigration status, you can apply to live in the UK legally as their parent.

If your child is over 18 they’ll have to legalise their status as an adult.

Get specialist help

You’ll always need the help of a specialist immigration adviser to register a child who’s living here illegally – the application is a complicated process.

To find out more about your options before visiting an expert, you can call theJoint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants. They provide free, confidential advice to people living in the UK illegally.

Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants
Telephone: 020 7553 7440
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 10am to 1pm
Calls cost 12p per minute from a landline, and from 3 to 45p from a mobile

If your child was born in the UK

If your child was born in the UK, there are two ways to get them a legal immigration status – register them as a British citizen, or apply for ‘discretionary leave to remain’.

Register your child as a British citizen

You can register your child as a British citizen after they’ve lived here for 10 years.

It’s the best option, because:

  • your child will be able to legally work
  • they can continue with their education after 16
  • British citizens can get NHS healthcare and are eligible for benefits

It costs £749, and the application is guaranteed to succeed.

Apply for discretionary leave to remain

You can apply for an immigration status called ‘discretionary leave to remain’ for your child after 7 years.

Decisions made on an individual basis so there’s no guarantee the application will succeed, and they won’t be eligible for any benefits when they reach 18.

If you get discretionary leave to remain for your child, you’ll have to:

  • renew it every 2.5 years (costing £649)
  • pay a £500 NHS fee every time you renew their leave
  • apply for citizenship eventually if you want them to live in the UK permanently


If your child was born outside the UK

Your only option is to apply for discretionary leave to remain.

They’ll be able to live and work in the UK, but won’t be entitled to benefits when they reach 18.

How to get visa in UK

unduhan-21If you’re already in the UK, your spouse (husband, wife or civil partner) or fiancé will need a visa to join you to live for over 6 months.

A family member who joins you in the UK based on your right to stay in the UK is called a ‘dependant’, and you are known as the ‘sponsor’.

They’ll need to make an application from outside the UK.

If your spouse or partner wants to visit the UK for less than 6 months, you need to apply for a visit visa instead.

You can fill in the application form for your family member – you must do this online using the links above.

The online application system doesn’t list the visas by name – you’ll have to answer some questions to find the visa you need. There’s an option to “apply for someone else” on the online form.

As part of the application process, they must have their biometrics taken (fingerprints and photograph). Check where their nearest visa application centre is before you apply, because it might be in a different country.

You need to be earning a certain amount, or have enough savings, in order to bring your spouse or partner to the UK to live. This is called ‘meeting the financial requirement’.

You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.

If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you’re applying for.

Visa after the studies in UK

If you wish to stay in the UK to work when you have finished your studies you will need to apply for visa permission to do so. Here you will find out the requirements you will need to meet as well as the application support available from the University.

Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme – for DPhil students approaching completion

The Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme is open for applications from students who are close to finishing their DPhil. The scheme is part of Tier 4 meaning applicants need sponsorship in the form of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from their department to apply for a visa extension.

The visa will be granted for 12 months from the expected completion date on the CAS and allows holders to seek and take work in the UK without needing advance sponsorship from an employer, or set up in business.

You can use the year simply for work experience or, if you found qualifying work with a licensed employer, you may be able to progress to Tier 2. If you are setting up a business you may be able to go on to apply under the entrepreneur or graduate entrepreneur categories. During the year you will need to keep in contact with the University as your sponsor for the scheme.

As it is not possible to apply once you have completed your DPhil, you should speak to the Graduate Studies Assistant for your department and request a CAS shortly before your viva to allow yourself time to make the visa application before you are granted ‘leave to supplicate’. Some funded students may need their financial sponsor’s permission to apply. Information is available from the Home Office.

Tier 1 visa categories – entrepreneurs and investors

Graduate Entrepreneur: for students to remain in the UK for one year to develop an entrepreneurial business idea. Applicants must be invited to make an application by the education institution from which they have received their award and have the application endorsed by that institution.

Oxford usually offers a maximum of 20 invitations per year. More information about obtaining an endorsement from Oxford and the next round of interviews is available from the Careers Service. The visa application form and Policy Guidance for this scheme are available from the Home Office.

Entrepreneurs: applicants proposing to set up, or take over, and actively run a business in the UK, who either have access to funding of £200,000, or access to funding of £50,000 from particular specified sources can apply for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa. If you are switching from Graduate Entrepreneur you need £50,000 funding but it does not need to be from the specified sources.

Exceptional talent: 1,000 visas will be granted in this category to ‘exceptionally talented migrants in the fields of science, arts and humanities’, as endorsed by a ‘designated Competent Body’. For details, see the Home Office information on Tier 1 (Exceptional talent).

Investors: these visas are available to applicants with £2million to invest in the UK.

Tier 2 (General) – you have a job offer

Applicants who have been offered a graduate level job by an employer who holds a Tier 2 license and have been issued a Certificate of Sponsorship are eligible for the Tier 2 (General) visa category.

For a Tier 2 application, the salary offered must be appropriate to the type of work and be at least £20,800. Although an employer would normally need to advertise the job as required by the Home Office (the Resident Labour Market Test) they are exempt from this requirement if you are applying in the UK under the special arrangements for student visa holders.

In order to apply for Tier 2 from within the UK, if your last visa granted was as a student or a Tier 4 student, you will have to show that you have completed, during the period of that visa, or a previous visa which you have now extended, a degree or at least one year of your DPhil. If you have finished your course at the University you can include a Degree Certificate, Final Academic Transcript or a Degree Confirmation Letter to prove that that you meet this requirement. You will also need to meet maintenance and English language requirements as set out in the Home Office’s Tier 2 guidance.

The number of Tier 2 (General) applications made outside the UK is limited by a quota system which may slow down your application or make it more difficult for you to apply. For this reason it is usually better to apply under Tier 2 from within the UK if you are eligible to do so.

Holders of Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme visas, and Tier 1 Post Study Work visas can also benefit from the Tier 2 switching arrangements for students.

Information on other routes for working in the UK

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme): is available to nationals of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Taiwan or South Korea. The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) is for young people from participating countries who would like to experience life and work in the UK. There are specific requirements to be met, visas are issued under a quota system and you have to apply from your home country. You can also apply if you are a British Overseas citizen, a British Overseas Territories citizen or a British National Overseas citizen (there is no limit on these visas).

UK ancestry: If you are a Commonwealth citizen with a grandparent born in the UK, you may be able to apply from outside the UK for a visa to come to the UK for five years to look for a job and work, on the basis of UK ancestry.

Turkish citizens: If you are a Turkish citizen you may benefit from a European agreement with Turkey if you want to set up in business in the UK, or to obtain the right to stay longer to work if you have already been legally working in the UK.

Tier 5 Temporary Worker: If you are already in the UK, it is now possible to remain here to undertake an internship directly related to the studies you have taken during your time in the UK, for up to 12 months under the Tier 5 Temporary Worker (Government Authorised Exchange) scheme.

Get UK Visa For Study

If you are planning to travel to the UK to undertake a course at the University and are not a national of the EEA or Switzerland you may need to apply for a visa before travelling.

The type of permission/visa you require will depend on the type of course.

  • To attend a full time course for longer than six months you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. Details of the requirements and a guide explaining how to complete the online application form are available from the Tier 4 webpage.
  • For a short course or to undertake a period of study as a visiting student for less than six months, you will need to use the Short-Term Student route or apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa.
  • For distance learning courses where short visits are undertaken over more than six months, you will also use the Short-Term Student route.
  • For part-time courses longer than six months with a weekly or monthly attendance requirement you will not be eligible for a Tier 4 visa or the Short Term Student route based on the structure of the course.
  • Please be aware, if you are bringing family members with you, you may also require a visa for your family.

If you are eligible for a visa for the UK in another capacity – for example as a dependant of another student, or as a worker, or ancestry – you may be allowed to study with this permission. If you are studying a subject that requires an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate (postgraduate research students and undergraduate students in science, engineering and technology subjects) you will also need to obtain an ATAS certificate before you can enrol on the course.

European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals

You will just need your EEA national / Swiss passport or ID card to enter the UK. Before coming to study, you should apply in your home country for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to obtain any medical treatment necessary during your time in the UK and to facilitate possible residence applications in the future.

Your right to reside and work in the UK

Most EEA nationals can work without restriction in the UK, but if you are a national of Croatia your right to work may be limited and you may need to obtain authorisation. For permission to work for up to 20 hours a week as a student, a Croatian national needs to obtain a yellow registration certificate.

As non-compulsory evidence of the right to reside in the UK as a student, European and Swiss nationals can apply for residence documents. This might be particularly important if family members are going to be with you in the UK and will need evidence of their right to stay.

How to renewing your visa

You can renew or extend your visa in the UK if your most recently granted visa is either a Tier 4 visa, or other type of visa from which switching to Tier 4 is allowed. You should normally apply before your visa expires. You are not allowed to apply in the UK if you are here as a Short-Term Student or Visitor.

Check that you can make your application from within the UK

If you are applying for a visa for a new course and want to apply in the UK, the start date of the new course must be not later than 28 days after the expiry date of your latest visa. If there is a gap of more than 28 days following the expiry date of your current visa before your course starts, you must apply in your country of nationality or usual residence.

Home Office ‘Academic progression’ requirement

Warning: this requirement may mean that you cannot apply in the UK, even if you meet other requirements, and will have to apply from your home country.

If you have already been studying in the UK with a Tier 4 visa, normally you will only be able to apply in the UK again under Tier 4 if you have successfully completed your course and will be studying at a higher academic level, for example you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree and will be starting a masters or you have successfully completed a masters and will be starting a DPhil. Note that the requirement to have successfully completed the course for which your Tier 4 visa was assigned may mean that you cannot apply in the UK if you have switched course without completing your original course and are applying for more time to complete the course you switched to.

To satisfy the academic progression requirement for an in-country application you will have to provide proof of having completed your previous course by sending your degree certificate, a final academic transcript or formal written confirmation. If you are going on to a new course at the same academic level as your previous course it should either complement your current studies, involve deeper specialisation or support your career aspirations to meet the Home Office ‘academic progression’ requirement, see theTier 4 policy guidance (academic progression section). Students who need to make a Tier 4 application to complete a DPhil, resit an exam or repeat a section of a course do not have to show academic progression.

This is a summary of the requirement, you should also look at the Tier 4 policy guidance (PDF) (academic progression section).

If you are unsure whether your further study meets the academic progression please contact student.immigration@admin.ox.ac.uk or tier4compliance@admin.ox.ac.uk for advice. The Home Office may be reviewing the requirement so contact us to check the latest information.

You do not need to meet this Home Office ‘academic progression requirement’ if you make your Tier 4 application outside the UK.

Time limit on study in the UK

Your Tier 4 application must not lead to you spending more than five years on Tier 4 Student visas and/or the older type of student visa for degree level study.

There are exceptions to the five year limit:

  • if you have completed a four or five year undergraduate degree course in the UK and will be studying a taught Masters at Oxford, the time limit is six years;
  • if the time limit would prevent you completing a degree level course it may be extended to five years and 11 months (or six years and 11 months if you studied a four or five year undergraduate course and your application is for a taught Masters);
  • if you will be studying a DPhil or MSc by research there is no limit while you are studying this course;
  • but if you have already completed a doctorate in the UK, any new application for study is subject to an eight year overall limit including study below degree level;
  • applications for some courses are exempt from the limit including architecture, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and science, conversion or professional law courses following a degree in the UK, or music at a Conservatoire. However time spent on these courses cannot be deducted from any future time limit calculation for study on a non-exempt course.

Visit the UKCISA website for information and how to calculate the time limit. If you think that the time limit may be a problem for your application, email Student Immigration for advice or tier4compliance@admin.ox.ac.uk for a calculation of the time limit.

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) for access to NHS treatment

The IHS was introduced as part of Tier 4 and other visa applications, including student dependants in April 2015. The charge must be paid even if you have your own private medical insurance and do not intend to use the NHS.

You will be required to complete an assessment for the IHS as part of your visa application, and pay online. You will be charged £150 for each year or part year over six months of the visa being applied for, plus £75 for part of a year that is less than six months. If a student (or a dependant) is making a visa application in the UK, they will be required to pay the health charge even if the period applied for is less than six months. Nationals of Australia and New Zealand applying before 6 April 2016 will not be charged but will need to go through the assessment process to obtain a reference number.

Students who have obtained a visa before the IHS was implemented will be covered as normal for NHS treatment unless and until they need to make a further visa application.

For further information on the IHS, see the Home Office website.

Traveling Visa In Uk Tips

If you want to travel to Europe during your stay in the UK, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel.

The Schengen visa allows visitors to obtain one visa to visit a number of designated countries within the EEA. To find out if you require a Schengen visa, visit the UK embassy website of the country you wish to visit.

There are 25 member countries in the Schengen visa scheme:

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece Hungary
Iceland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland

The UK is not a Schengen territory and the visa cannot be used to enter this country.

Types of Schengen visa

  1. The Airport transit visa allows you to transit through the international transit area of an airport in a Schengen member state, but not to exit this area before flying to your next destination.
  2. The transit visa enables you to pass through the territory of one or more Schengen member states on your way to another country outside of the Schengen space.
  3. The short stay or travel visa allows a visit of up to three months in any six month period. This is the visa that most students wanting to travel within the Schengen space as tourists or conference attendees will require.

You can also submit an application for multiple entry visas. This allows you to travel more than once into the Schengen space during a three month period.

Schengen visa charges

There is a charge for obtaining a Schengen visa which will vary depending on which country is issuing it. You should apply either to the embassy of the country you plan to spend most time in or the country you will go to first.

Each embassy produces its own application form for the visa and you will need to contact the appropriate authority by telephoning their enquiry number to ask them to send a form out to you. Some embassies’ forms are available from their website. Be careful to find the official embassy website rather than an agency website.

Other Schengen visa requirements

  • Each embassy has its own policy on how much leave (ie permission) to enter or remain in the UK applicants need to have beyond the term of their proposed trip. For example, you may be required to have a passport which is valid for at least three months longer than the proposed visa.
  • You may need to spend time waiting for the national authorities to process your passport renewal, it is therefore advisable to apply early.
  • Depending on your nationality, embassies may also require you to make your application in person.


Re-entering the UK after your trip

If you have a still-current Tier 4 student visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and your circumstances haven’t changed since it was issued, you should be able to use it to re-enter the UK.

Starting in summer of 2015, students coming for a period of more than six months have been granted Tier 4 permission in the form of a short 30-day travel visa with instructions to collect a BRP after arrival in the UK. If you have a current BRP, show this with your passport on return to the UK. You do not have to apply for a new short 30-day travel visa to re-enter the UK.

Whether your visa is a BRP or the older kind of long visa sticker in your passport, on arrival, have with you in your hand luggage your CAS number on paper and a certificate of enrolment which you can print from Student Self-Service. Although your visa should be enough for re-entry to the UK, these could help if there is any concern about your status.

Border control will not usually let you show them documents on a phone, tablet or laptop. Be cautious about making trips outside the UK after you have completed study or when your visa is close to expiry. Border Control staff have the power to refuse entry if they consider there has been a significant change of circumstance since your visa was granted.  Be prepared to explain for example that although you have finished your course, your purpose for returning is not incompatible with the reason your visa was granted, and that you do not plan to remain beyond your visa’s expiry date unless you are eligible and have applied for another visa. If you plan to apply for another visa, make sure you are eligible and ready to do so from within the UK and you are able to explain this. If you still have matters to attend to related to your course, for example a graduation ceremony before your visa expiry date, or you need to pack up belongings before leaving the UK, you could mention this and if you have already made travel arrangements this can help as evidence of your intention to leave.

If you have completed early, or withdrawn or suspended from your course, this is likely to have been reported to the Home Office and this may mean you cannot re-enter the UK even though your Tier 4 permission still appears to be valid. The University would have emailed you using contact details on your student record before any report was made to the Home Office to let you know this was happening and to explain the consequences.

If you are using Short-Term Student status to study, there is a difference between having a visa in this capacity and having the status conferred by a stamp on arrival. If you have a Short-Term Student visa in your passport, this should be multi entry so you can use it to re-enter the UK during its period of validity. If you did not need to apply for a visa but were stamped in as a short-term student, this status will lapse when you leave the UK and when you return you will need to qualify again as a short term student, so have with you a recent short-term student letter from your college or course organiser, and evidence of your finances.

Foreign Born Researchers Tips For Immigration

Becoming a lawful permanent resident and obtaining a green card is the goal of many foreign-born scientists who come to the United States to study and conduct research. Unfortunately for would-be immigrants, U.S. immigration law is confusing, and much of it is based on the premise that U.S. workers need to be protected from the competition of would-be immigrants.

Fortunately, the law recognizes that scientists are different from other foreign-born workers, and special immigration options exist for highly qualified scientists. Under current immigration law, three specific Immigration Petitions are appropriate for highly qualified scientists and researchers, and there are a few steps foreign-born researchers can take to improve the chances of their petition being approved.

Labor Certification

In order to become a permanent resident through an employment-based immigration petition, the vast majority of foreign-born workers must first apply to the U.S. Department of Labor to obtain labor certification, a document certifying that there is no qualified U.S. worker willing and able to take the job for which the foreign-born worker has applied. Obtaining labor certification is difficult and time-consuming. Labor certification requires that the applicant be sponsored by a U.S. company; furthermore, the company must actively recruit American workers for that position. If a single qualified U.S. worker or permanent resident wants the job, the application fails.

Fortunately, for highly skilled scientists three specific Immigration Petitions exist that make it possible to waive the labor certification requirement. The petitions (which are among the most difficult immigration petitions to have approved) are Alien of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professor or Researcher, and National Interest Waiver.

Alien of Extraordinary Ability

The Alien of Extraordinary Ability petition is appropriate for those few researchers who have already risen to the top of their field. The petition does not require a sponsoring employer; it can be submitted by the scientist on his or her own behalf.

Outstanding Professor or Researcher

The Outstanding Professor or Researcher petition is an employer-sponsored petition for scientists who are recognized internationally as outstanding in their field. The approval of both of these petitions is based on a set of factors including the significance of the scientist’s research, the number of peer-reviewed articles published by the scientist, whether the scientist has been asked to serve as a judge of other researchers’ work (as a reviewer of manuscripts or grant proposals, for example), and the number of awards received, among other factors. Generally speaking, Outstanding Researcher petitions are easier to win than Alien of Extraordinary Ability petitions. For more information on the Outstanding Professor or Researcher category, click here.

The National Interest Waiver

The National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition is, as the name implies, a request to waive the need for labor certification based on the national interest of the United States. An NIW does not require a sponsoring employer and can be filed by the scientist. In order to have an NIW approved, the petitioner must satisfy a three-prong test: The field of research must have substantial intrinsic merit, the benefits of the research must be national in scope, and the results of the scientist’s work must be of such significance as to outweigh the U.S. government’s inherent interest in protecting U.S. workers from the competition of would-be immigrants. Like the first two petitions, the supporting evidence for an NIW petition will include information concerning the scientist’s research accomplishments, the number of peer-reviewed articles published by the scientist, whether the scientist has been asked to serve as a judge of other researchers’ work, and the number of awards received by the scientists, among other evidence. For more information on the National Interest Waiver, click here.

A Few Tips

In addition to submitting information concerning the scientist’s research, publications, and awards, each of these three petitions requires the researcher to submit a set of letters of recommendation from fellow scientists attesting to the petitioner’s scientific achievements. It is important that these letters be skillfully written to address the criteria that are of most importance to the reviewing immigration officer. But in addition to what each letter says, whom the letter is from is often just as important.

For example, letters from scientists who do not know the petitioner personally, but only through the scientist’s publications or conference presentations, are seen as more credible than letters from a scientist’s close colleagues. Letters from close colleagues are helpful, but letters from scientists who have not worked with the petitioner significantly improve the chances of approval. As a result, as foreign-born researchers make their way through their studies and research, it’s a good idea for them to keep track of (and keep in contact with) researchers with whom they have discussed their work, e.g., at various scientific conferences. Contacts with researchers in foreign countries are also important, as they can help prove the scientist’s international reputation. Likewise, it helps to keep a list of researchers who have commented positively about, or have shown significant interest in, the scientist’s work. When it comes time to request a letter of recommendation, these contacts could be of significant value.

Additionally, immigration officials have a tendency to give greater credibility to letters that are written by researchers at government labs or agencies. As a result, graduate-level and postdoctoral researchers should keep track of people they know who work at such facilities.

As noted above, participating as a judge of the work of fellow researchers can play a significant role in the approval of these petitions, especially Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researcher petitions. One way to satisfy this criterion is to review articles submitted to academic journals. Foreign-born scientists could contact editors of journals that have accepted their publications and volunteer to review submitted articles. Similarly, volunteering to review abstracts submitted for presentations at scientific conferences also is an excellent way to serve as the judge of other researchers’ work.

How to get working holiday visa in canada

Are you looking to get a working holiday visa in Canada (also known as International Experience Canada, IEC visa or working holiday Canada) for 2016?

If you are, you’ve come to the right place. This section will provide you with an overview of all the relevant steps required steps for this type of immigration to Canada, which allows you to live and get a job in Canada for either 12 or 24 months.

NOTE: All profiles for 2016 must be submitted by September 30. Find out more.

Please read the information and associated links carefully. Errors while applying for a working holiday visa in Canada can be costly, and can delay your immigration to Canada.

Tips and jobs

Before we begin, we’d like to draw your attention to these resources. If you’re looking to make the most of your working holiday visa in Canada, it’s essential that you review these pages:

  • Construction and engineering jobs from Moving2Canada through our Outpost Recruitment agency.
  • Where to buy travel insurance for Canada (note: this is mandatory to get a working holiday visa in Canada)
  • Learn how to rewrite your CV, and discover the resume format in Canada
  • Frequently asked questions for the IEC Canada visa process
  • Case-specific help in our Working Holiday Visa in Canada forum

Take a minute to join our network and we will send you a comprehensive IEC working holiday visa in Canada FAQ article that we have researched for you.

How to get a working holiday visa in Canada

You can obtain a working holiday visa in Canada through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. Apply directly to the Embassy of Canada to avoid paying any fees to agents for vague additional services.

What’s changed in 2016?

A new application process was revealed in November 2015 for those hoping to participate in the 2016 program.

One of the biggest changes is you no longer need to wait until the early months of the new year to begin the application procedure for a working holiday visa in Canada.

The new system will draw applicants at random at “regular intervals” until all places are filled for the year. This means you can create a profile and become a candidate at your leisure, any time after the opening date for your country.

However, your best bet is to apply early for a working holiday visa in Canada. This will expose you to a greater number of these draws.

You’ll be asked to enter one or more ‘pools’ as determined by country and visa category. ‘Australia: Working Holiday’ and ‘Ireland: Young Professionals’ would be examples of pools.

CIC has committed to giving at least five days notice before each country’s and category’s final rounds of invitations, which will mark the closure of that pool for the season.

The following is a general overview of the IEC visa process to achieve your working holiday visa in Canada:


To be eligible for a Working Holiday visa in Canada, candidates must:

  • Be a citizen (passport holder) of one of the 32 countries that have a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada.
  • Have a valid passport for the duration of their stay in Canada (the work permit issued will not be longer than the validity of the passport).
  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30 or 35 (inclusive) at the time of application (the upper age limit depends on the applicant’s country of citizenship).
  • Have the equivalent of C$2,500 on landing to help cover initial expenses.
  • Be able to take out health insurance for the duration of their working holiday visa in Canada (participants may have to present evidence of this insurance at the point of entry in Canada).
  • Be admissible to Canada.
  • Have, prior to departure, a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of their authorized stay in Canada.
  • Not be accompanied by dependents.
  • Pay the appropriate fees.
  • Citizens of certain countries are also required to be resident in their country of citizenship at the time they apply for their IEC Working Holiday visa in Canada.

Become a candidate:

  • Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire. This is used as an initial assessment of your eligibility for a working holiday visa in Canada. If you meet the criteria, you’ll receive a personal reference code.
  • Enter this code to create your MyCIC account.
  • Build your IEC profile.
  • Submit your profile and choose the IEC pool(s) you want to be in. Some candidates will only be eligible for one pool, some will be eligible for more.
  • At this stage, it’s a case of waiting for the IEC rounds for your pool to begin. You’ll need to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to continue the process.
  • If you receive an ITA via MyCIC, you will have 10 days start your application for a work permit, or to decline the invitation.

Apply for a work permit:

  • If you choose to accept the ITA, you’ll have 20 days from the day it’s received to submit your work permit application and pay any relevant fees.
  • In the Young Professional and International Co-op categories, your employer also needs to pay the CAD$230 employer compliance fee through the employer portal before the 20 days expire.
  • Gather and upload all the documents (e.g. police or medical certificates) requested by CIC. If you don’t have these immediately, you can upload proof that you’ve applied for a police cert or medical exam.
  • Pay relevant fees. To get a working holiday visa in Canada, it will be necessary to pay a participation fee of CAD$150, and an open work permit holder fee of CAD$100.
  • The CIC will assess your application and may request additional documents.
  • If your application is a success, a letter of introduction (LOI) will be sent to your MyCIC account. Bring this with you on your journey to Canada as you’ll need to present this to an immigration officer at a Port of Entry (POE), such as an airport or border crossing. This is where you’re provided with a work permit.


Other types of IEC visa

Young Professionals

The Young Professionals category is designed for foreign youth, particularly post-secondary graduates, who wish to further their careers by gaining professional work experience in Canada.

Participants must have a signed employment offer letter or contract of employment with a Canadian employer before applying.

The employment offer must be within the applicant’s field of expertise, as proved by area of training or work experience, and contribute to his or her professional development.

The job offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level 0, A, or B. The eligibility requirements for the Working Holiday visa in Canada, listed above, also apply to the Young Professionals category.

International Co-op (Internship)

The International Co-op (Internship) category is designed for foreign youth who are enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their country of citizenship.

Applicants must want to complete a work placement or internship in Canada to fulfill part of their academic curriculum and be registered students for the duration of the internship. Visas issued under this category are generally valid for up to 12 months.

Applicants must have a signed job offer letter or contract for a work placement or internship in Canada that meets the requirements of their academic curriculum in their country of citizenship. The eligibility requirements for the Working Holiday visa in Canada, listed above, also apply to the International Co-op category.

Visa administrative review that you should know it

1.If you are outside the UK

You’ll be told in your application refusal letter if you can ask for the decision on your visa application to be reviewed. This is known as an ‘administrative review’.

You can only ask for an administrative review if all of the following apply:

  • you’re outside the UK
  • you applied outside the UK
  • your application was refused on
  • you don’t have a right of appeal against the refusal
  • you didn’t make an application as a visitor or a short term student

How to apply

You must apply for an administrative review within 28 days of getting the decision.

You must:

  • fill in the administrative review application form sent with your application refusal letter – enter the reasons for refusal that are on your refusal letter, and say why you think a mistake was made
  • post the completed form to the address on the application refusal letter or take it to the address in person

The guidance notes tell you how to fill in the administrative review application form.

The decision will be checked for the errors you point out. Don’t send new information or documents for review unless you’ve been asked to.

You’ll usually receive the result of the administrative review within 28 days.

You can’t request a second review (unless the result of the first review found new reasons why you were refused).

Withdraw your request

Your request for an administrative review will be withdrawn (cancelled) if you make any other immigration or visa application.

Your request will be rejected if you ask for a review of a previous decision after submitting a new application.

You can ask for your request to be withdrawn by writing to the Visa Application Centre you sent it to.

You must include your name, date of birth, nationality and either your administrative review payment reference number or Home Office reference number.

2. If you’re in the UK

You’ll be told in your application refusal letter if you can ask for the decision on your visa application to be reviewed. This is known as an ‘administrative review’.

You can ask for your application to be reviewed if one of the following apply:

  • your application was refused
  • your application was granted but you’re unhappy with the amount or conditions of your leave

This is known as an ‘administrative review’.

You may be able to appeal if you’re not eligible for an administrative review.

Apply for administrative review

If your application was refused, you must apply for an administrative review within 14 days of getting the decision. Your refusal letter will tell you how to apply. It costs £80.

You must apply within 7 days if you’ve been detained.

If your application was granted but you’re unhappy with the amount or conditions of your leave, you must email the Home Office within 14 days of getting your biometric residence permit.

What are you doing after the refugea status

If you’ve claimed asylum and been given refugee status, Asylum Support will stop28 days after the decision. It’ll stop 21 days later if you’ve been getting ‘section 4’ support.

This means you’ll:

  • stop getting your cash allowance (usually £36.95 per week)
  • have to move house – if you’ve been given somewhere to live as an asylum seeker

Once you’ve got refugee status, you’ll get permission to work in the UK – in any profession and at any skill level. If you’re not ready or able to look for work and have very little or no income, you can apply for welfare benefits instead.

You’ll also have to think about opening a bank account and getting a National Insurance number.

Find a new home

If you’ve been living somewhere as part of getting Asylum Support, you’ll have to move within 28 days of getting refugee status.

If you’re already living with friends or family, you don’t need to move – but you won’t be able to claim Housing Benefit, and it could affect other benefits you might get. If your friends or family are claiming Housing Benefit themselves, it might mean they receive less.

Talk to someone at your local Citizens Advice for more information.

If you can’t pay for housing yourself

Contact your local council or housing office as soon as you can. The Home Office don’t provide accommodation to refugees, but your local council will be able to talk you through your options.

Whether you can stay in the same area depends on things like:

  • how long you’ve lived there
  • whether you have family in the area
  • whether you’re at risk of becoming homeless

It’s worth knowing that there are long waiting lists for accommodation – you may be put in a bed and breakfast (B&B) or hostel temporarily.

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you can’t afford to pay the rent yourself – it doesn’t matter whether the local council found your place, or you found it yourself. Housing Benefit can take up to 6 weeks to come through.

Housing Benefit might not cover all of your rent, but you won’t usually have to pay a deposit.

If the local council finds you private accommodation through Housing Benefit, you might have to pay. Contact the housing charity Crisis if you need help paying a deposit.


If you’re ready to look for work, you can search online.

If you’re in London, the Refugee Council’s employment advice and support service have a course that will help you if you’re not quite sure where to start.

Contact UK NARIC if you have qualifications from your home country – you’ll need to find their UK equivalent to find a similar job here. It costs at least £55.20 to do this.

Claiming benefits

You may be entitled to welfare benefits in the UK even though you’ll stop getting Asylum Support.

So you have a better idea, you might be entitled to benefits like:

  • Income Support – if you’re learning English (for at least 15 weeks) in order to find employment, and you’ve been in the UK less than a year
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance – if you can prove you’re looking for work
  • Employment and Support Allowance – if you’re unable to look for work because of a mental or physical disability
  • Pension Credit – if you’re over working age
  • Universal Credit – if you’re in certain areas of the UK
  • a refugee integration loan – to help pay for a rent deposit, household items, education and training for work

Contact your local Citizens Advice for guidance on how to apply and a better idea of whether you’re eligible.

You’ll need a National Insurance number to claim benefits – you’ll have applied for one at your interview with the Home Office when you first claimed asylum. You’ll also need it to pay tax and register with a doctor – everyone who works or studies in the UK has one.

Get a National Insurance number

Normally, you’ll get your National Insurance (NI) number through the post just after you get refugee status.

If you haven’t received a NI number, call the National Insurance number application line. Ask whether they’ve issued you with a NI number – if they haven’t, ask what you need to do to get one.

How to choose the best of immigration attorney

While Congress is trying to decide on immigration reform, I’ve been through the excruciating, year-and-a-half-long process of getting a long-term US visa. I wasn’t looking to work for an American company. I was looking to build a company and create jobs on American soil.

After trials, tribulations and a couple rejections, here I am, finally staring at a shiny sticker inside my worn-out Belarusian passport.

As many will tell you, immigrating to the US is really tough. The best way to start your own process is by having a consultation with an immigration attorney.

I worked with two different law firms and learned the hard way that choosing the right immigration attorney is extremely important. I hope my experience can help moving your startup to the US.

*Since I’m a software engineer turned entrepreneur, not a lawyer, nothing in this post should be considered as legal advice.

Tip 1: Don’t bargain hunt

Choosing blindly might result in you working with mediocre or terrible immigration attorneys. Some might be handling too many cases at the same time, thus making them unable to dedicate enough time for each client. Some don’t have enough experience in certain areas of immigration law. Some are just trying to charge the heck of their clients.

I’ve heard all kinds of horror stories and I had some bad experiences myself. Founders of technology startups should only work with the best attorneys. Time is precious. A few thousand dollars in savings are not worth months wasted because your visa petition was rejected.

But how do you find the best one? Well…

Tip 2: Get a referral from another founder

First of all, use your own network and try to find other founders who dealt with attorneys and obtained a long-term visa. The old fashion advice remains true: Word-of-mouth advertisement is powerful.

Can’t find those? Grow your network by flying to US for a few months on a standard B1/B2 visa. Attend events, network, invite other entrepreneurs for a coffee. FWD.us hosts some really good meetups that gather many international entrepreneurs.

Tip 3: Ask for references

Once you get a referral (or two) to a good attorney, have initial consultation. During the consultation, a good attorney will suggest visa options you should consider.

At the end, ask for references. A lawyer’s business is built on trust. A good immigration attorney should have no problem introducing you to a couple of his or her former happy clients.

Tip 4: Negotiate fixed fees ahead of time

Immigration attorneys, just like any other attorneys, charge for their time. However, some attorneys have fixed set of fees for standard procedures, such as preparing and filing your case, and responding to requests for evidence.

I found this option to be most appealing. If they’re experienced in your type of case, they should be able to estimate how much time it is going to take so you are prepared to invest, in time and in money.

Tip 5: Run the process in the cloud

Usually lawyers are very conservative when it comes to adopting new technologies. For security reasons, they stay away from cloud file storages.

However, dealing with mail and paper-based documents is the last thing you want to do. This length process will require you to submit a bunch of documents and sign many forms.

Make it clear with your lawyer that you want to sign documents electronically, use cloud storage and a project management system to handle your case. I insisted we use our homegrown PandaDoc, Google Drive and Asana.

Asana was particularly helpful – attorney handling my case assigned tasks when he needed me helping with research on my case. Thanks to using online ticketing software, I was able to be 100 percent sure I wasn’t holding up the process myself.